Monday, February 28, 2011

March

Today in chapel a very gifted senior preached. He spoke of a conversation he had with his grandfather about his call to mission work and then to seminary. As he reported it was not an earth shattering event, they both happened through phone calls from people inviting him to join them. This rang true for many of us…many think a call to ministry is an instantaneous, life changing event.
This sermon made me reflect on the different “calls” that have shaped my journey and they sound just as uneventful…or so it seemed at the time. First Church has been and continues to be the wire that strings my call together. The years of working in ministry with all of you constantly nudged me in this direction.
As I sit in seminary I am constantly reminded of those nudges.
An invitation to help with the junior high kids…and oh those kids!!  The PW always welcoming and challenging me to grow… Sunday school teachers as we huddled around the craft closet talking “theology” that we didn’t know we were talking…mission opportunities where we were always amazed at how much it ministered to us… and those kids…growing as we worked at being parents together…nurtured by a supportive ministry staff that gave me opportunities to explore my gifts...book groups and Bible study…and those kids...Deacon pot-luck suppers…Session meetings (yes, even Session meetings) and the congregation in worship along with so many others. First Church connected the call to me and you are calling each other every day…don’t be too busy to pick up.
I would love to hear from you about what is happening "back home"!
I am off to a study group to review for Systematic Theology…comparing Levinas, Calvin, Cone, Lee, Augustine and Jones (just for this week).
Peace and love,
Kristie

No comments:

Post a Comment